Ph.D. Geological Sciences2018
Dissertation: Regional structural geology of Earth and Mars
Advisors: BL Ehlmann and JP Grotzinger
B.S. Geological Sciences with Highest Honors
Honors thesis (advised by AF Glazner) – Illumination and sites for potential exploration at the South pole of the Moon.
- Summa cum laude
- 3.88 GPA
Postdoctoral research associate2018—present
Graduate research fellow2012—2018
NAGT/USGS Cooperative Field Training intern · Contract software developer2011–2012
- Field research technician in water resources division
- Assisted with field geophysical studies of groundwater hydrology in the northeast U.S. using radar, seismic, and magnetic-resonance techniques
- Developed a GIS software tool to support the analysis of watershed fiber-optic distributed temperature sensing data.
Lunar science intern2010
Investigation of permanantly shadowed regions on the south pole of the Moon with the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Mini-RF mission team.
NASA Planetary Geology and Geophysics intern2009
- Experimental petrology
- Synthesis of basaltic glasses in a gas-mixing furnace
- Spectral analysis for remote-sensing analog studies
- Implementation of Hapke spectral reflectance modeling in Microsoft Excel
Isotope geochemistry technician2008 – 2011
- TIMS (thermal ionization mass spectrometer) lab technician
- Sample preparation: mineral separation and column chemistry
- Analysis of igneous rocks using TIMS, XRF, and ICP-MS.
in prep Quinn, DP, JP Grotzinger, and TM Present, Stratigraphy and structure of the Zebra Nappe, Southern Naukluft Mountains, Namibia, anticipated submission late 2018.
in press Quinn, DP and BL Ehlmann, A PCA-based framework for determining remotely-sensed geological surface orientations and their statistical quality (2019), Earth and Space Science, preprint doi: 10.31223/osf.io/4enzu.
in press Quinn, DP and BL Ehlmann, The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates (2019), Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets, preprint doi: 10.31223/osf.io/fzhk7.
Quinn, DP, JS Saleeby, MN Ducea, P Luffi, and PD Asimow, Late-Cretaceous construction of the mantle lithosphere beneath the central California coast revealed by Crystal Knob xenoliths (2018), Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 19, doi: 10.1029/2017GC007260.
Fraeman, AA, BL Ehlmann, RE Arvidson, CS Edwards, JP Grotzinger, RE Milliken, DP Quinn and MS Rice, The stratigraphy and evolution of lower Mt. Sharp from spectral, morphological, and thermophysical orbital datasets (2016), Journal of Geophysical Research–Planets, doi: 10.1002/2016je005095.
- DARPA ASKE HR00111990013: Curating Earth systems models from scientific publications (partial support)
- NSF EAR-1740694 collaborative proposal: EarthCube Integration: Geochronology Frontier at the Laboratory-Cyberinformatics Interface (primary salary support)
- Earth Science Information Partners Community Fellowship (partial support)
- NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (full graduate support)
- Agouron Foundation geobiology grant (to Caltech; support for Namibia fieldwork)
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
- Exxon-Mobil Field Camp Scholarship
- Two PhD field campaigns in southern Namibia (4 months total)
- Structural mapping and detailed measured sections
- Teaching assistant for field mapping and stratigraphy during PhD
- Adapting field techniques to Earth and planetary remote-sensing data
GIS and spatial analysis
- Commercial (ENVI, ArcGIS) and open-source (QGIS, GDAL, PostGIS and Mapnik) geospatial software
- Development of open-source tooling for geologic data management
- Planetary and terrestrial remote sensing, photogrammetry, and hyperspectral imaging
- Geospatial software development and data analysis in Python and PostgreSQL
- Data visualization with d3js, React, Node.js, and Electron
- iOS geospatial software development to ease field data workflows
- Familiar user of Unix toolset, git version control, and modern development best practices
Honors · Awards
- Earth Science Information Partners Community Fellowship
- NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship
- Anadarko Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award (UNC Geology)
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholar in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering
- Wheeler Research Award (UNC Geology)
- Top Geologist (SUNY Buffalo Field Camp)
- Exxon-Mobil Field Camp Scholarship
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Carolina Research Scholar
2007 – 2011
- Dean’s List
- Carolina Scholar
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholar
Teaching assistant, GPS division2013 — 2017
- Ge120a – Introduction to field geologic mapping
- Ge114b – Mineralogy and petrography
- Ge121c – Advanced field geologic mapping and stratigraphy
Caltech Bike Lab
- Basic and intermediate bicycle repair
Geobiology Field Course2018
Geobiology Field Course2016
- Two field campaigns directed at understanding microbial mats in a tidal flat setting
- Investigation of pathways of modern carbonate formation
- Collaboration with a multidisciplinary research team
- Management of precision geodetic data-collection using UAV, DGPS, and theodolite.
- ◎ conference talk
- ☐ conference poster
- ▵ invited lecture
University of Chicago (February 2019): The error structure of remotely-sensed geological orientation measurements and their application to structural studies of Mars.
DP Quinn, BL Ehlmann, A statistical framework for determining remotely-sensed geological surface orientations and their error distributions, Geological Society of America, November 2018 (Indianapolis, IN).
DP Quinn, JP Grotzinger, and TM Present, A sequence-stratigraphic framework for the Zebra Nappe, southern Naukluft Mountains, Namibia, Geological Society of America, November 2018 (Indianapolis, IN).
DP Quinn, BL Ehlmann, Sedimentary units accessible in the NE Syrtis extended mission area and recent findings on the history of surface water in the broader region, 4th Mars 2020 Landing Site Workshop, October 2018 (Glendale, CA). [Slides]
Rice University pre-IRESS workshop (February 21, 2018): Interfaces to data in structural geology (Houston, TX).
DP Quinn, BL Ehlmann, The layered sulfates at NE Syrtis Major, Mars 2020 Landing Site Working Group (November 2017).
Caltech Geoclub (June 1, 2017): Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the Zebra Nappe, Naukluft Nappe Complex, Namibia.
Hawaii Institiute of Geophysics and Planetology seminar (April 2017): Developing new statistical tools to understand the sulfate stratigraphy at northeast Syrtis Major, Mars.
DP Quinn, BL Ehlmann, The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates, 48th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 2017 (Houston, TX).
DP Quinn, BL Ehlmann, A method for error analysis and orientation statistics of best-fitting planes from remote-sensing data, 48th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 2017 (Houston, TX).
DP Quinn, JP Grotzinger, and TM Present, Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the Zebra Nappe, Naukluft Nappe Complex, Namibia, Geological Society of America, October 2016 (Denver, CO).
DP Quinn, JP Grotzinger, and TM Present, Preliminary structural map of the Zebra Nappe, Naukluft Nappe Complex, Namibia, Geological Society of America, October 2016 (Denver, CO).
Geologic Society of Namibia (September 2016): Stratigraphy and Structure of the Zebra Nappe of the Naukluft Nappe Complex.
JPL Mars Forum (May 2016): The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates.
DP Quinn and JB Saleeby, Spinel peridotite xenoliths from Crystal Knob and the structure of the mantle lithosphere beneath coastal California, GSA Cordilleran Section, April 2016 (Ontario, CA).
DP Quinn and BL Ehlmann, The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates, CRISM Team Meeting, November 2015 (Baltimore, MD).
DP Quinn and BL Ehlmann, The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates, Geological Society of America, November 2015 (Baltimore, MD).
DP Quinn and BL Ehlmann, The deposition and alteration history of the northeast Syrtis layered sulfates, HiRISE Team Meeting, September 2015 (Myvátn, Iceland).
DP Quinn and BL Ehlmann, Structural constraints on the origin of the sulfate-bearing unit at northeast Syrtis Major, 8th Mars Conference, July 2014 (Pasadena, CA).
DP Quinn and BL Ehlmann, Provenance of the sulfate-bearing Unit at Northeast Syrtis Major: Insights from Structural Geology, 45th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, May 2014 (Houston, TX).
DP Quinn, JB Saleeby, MN Ducea, and P Luffi, Probing the structure of the sub-Salinia mantle lithosphere using spinel lherzolite xenoliths from Crystal Knob, Santa Lucia Range, California, American Geophysical Union, December 2013 (San Francisco, CA).
DP Quinn, JTS Cahill, DBJ Bussey, JA McGovern, PD Spudis, H Noda, and Y Ishihari, Exploration potential for highly illuminated points at the lunar poles using Kaguya, LOLA, and LROC data sets, 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 2011 (Houston, TX).
DP Quinn, JTS Cahill, DBJ Bussey, JA McGovern, PD Spudis, H Noda, and Y Ishihari, Lighting conditions for the Moon's poles: integrating Clementine, Kaguya, and Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter data sets, American Geophysical Union, December 2010 (San Francisco, CA).
DP Quinn, JJ Gillis-Davis, and PG Lucey, Using Microsoft Excel for Hapke modeling: a technique to simplify calculations of optical constants and reflectance spectra, 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 2010 (Houston, TX).
Organizations · Service
- American Geoscience Institute special awards judge
2017 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, Los Angeles, CA.
- President, Caltech Bike Lab
- Member, Geological Society of America
- Volunteer mechanic, Caltech Bike Lab
- Member, American Geophysical Union